Internal Applicant Deadline: Thursday, January 3, 2019 @ 4:30 pm
Purpose of Position:
An Accounting Specialist provides financial services support for the district, maintains accurate records, and processes data.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with all financial accounting for the district, ensuring timely, accurate reporting and efficient processes.
Coordinates district-wide accounts receivable and general accounting functions on a regular basis
- Prepares materials to be entered into the financial system
- Calculates and reviews data for appropriate authorization, correct coding and compliance with district policy and law
- Prepares data for negotiations costing and assists in calculating impact of proposed changes
- Performs accounting functions for the district’s Student Activities and Accounts Payable
Ensures legal compliance in accordance to state guidelines
- Provides accurate information to help others accomplish their tasks
- Assists in preparation of bank reconciliations
- Communicates with sites to promote the timely submission of district wide requests for payment
- Reviews employee expense reports and purchase requisitions for proper approval, documentation, and accuracy
- Creates and maintains filing systems and reports
- Researches and investigates to resolve problems or recommend solutions
Communicates with staff and vendors using problem-solving techniques
- Provides advance warning of potential over-expenditure of budgeted funds
- Follows up on the payment of non-sufficient fund notifications
- Coordinates training of district staff on use of the finance system
Provides one-on-one or group training based upon employees’ specific needs
- Manages training sessions provided by non-district staff
- Monitors department budget, conducts department inventories and orders appropriate supplies and equipment.
Prepares and formats spreadsheets containing budget information.
- Receives and verifies invoices, obtains approval and processes for payment
- Verifies/assigns correct account code to income and/or expense items
- Prepares, enters and records cash receipts to district funds
Verifies account codes, calculations, and dates on receipts
- Reviews receipts for errors in entry and corrects errors
- Assists with year-end audit entries
- Assists in preparation of work papers and supporting documentation for the annual audit
- Assists in preparation of information for the semiannual budget process
- Data Entry
Performs data entry of cash receipts, journal entries, food service claims and any other entries as assigned.
- Monitor IDEAS, SERVS, CliCs and other MDE systems and create deposit account allocations when necessary
- Assists with daily office duties
Coordinates the financial archival system for the Business Services Department keeping it compliant with established state and federal laws.
- Creates purchase orders and/or vouchers for the Business Services Department.
- Coordinates district wide purchase order processing
- Assist in monthly One Card information analysis
- Assist with the quote and bid process
- Coordinate returned check process
- Assists employees, vendors, and community members with general inquiries and refers questions to the appropriate person when needed
- Answers telephones reviews voicemail message and correspondence, and responds appropriately
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two-year degree or greater or certificate in business related field.
- Ability to identify and solve problems.
- Calculator and keyboarding with high accuracy and speed.
- Interest in working in a school district environment.
- Ability to gain knowledge of district policy and procedures.
- Detail-oriented with proven ability to be consistently accurate.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with employees.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Two-year degree or greater or certificate with emphasis in accounting.
- Two years or more of related accounting office experience.
- Working knowledge of eFinance Plus software system.
- Must be willing and able to work in the following conditions: busy, with consistent interruptions.
- Ability to perform the following actions continuously: sitting, using hands dexterously, talking, hearing.
- Ability to perform the following actions occasionally: lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds, reaching, stooping, standing, bending, crouching, and walking
$4,479/month-$5,269/month (based on full-time, related experience)