The primary purpose of this position is involved in the planning, specification, acquisition, and testing of new and emerging medical technologies.
Click on button below for IMPORTANT additional information.
- Incumbent is involved in the planning, specification, acquisition, and testing of new and emerging medical technologies for the USAF.
- The integration of those technologies into the USAF medical service system, and providing clinical engineering consultation services to the USAF Surgeon General's Office and other DoD agencies.
- Manages all key elements of the USAF Medical/Dental Investment Equipment Defense Health Plan and Medical War Reserve Materiel (MWRM).
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
0858 Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineers
- Engineers, Biomedical
Conditions of Employment
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE :
GS-13 : At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skill, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples: Acquisition of new and emerging medical technologies for USAF; the integration of these technologies into the USAF medical service system; and providing clinical engineering consultation services to the USAF Surgeon Generals office and other DoD agencies.
GS-14 : At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skill, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples: reviewing technical or complex data (e.g., related to multi-step processes, combination products, etc.) for scientific/research projects related to the accuracy, safety, or efficacy of a medical device or scientific system/process; providing advice and assistance to scientists in developing scientific and technical policies; reviewing research protocols to evaluate medical device products, scientific projects, or research assignments; and recommending solutions to scientific complaints, research discrepancies, and/or product problems.
GS-15 : At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-14 level which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skill, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples: reviewing technical or complex data (e.g., related to multi-step processes, combination products, etc.) for scientific/research projects related to the accuracy, safety, or efficacy of a medical device or scientific system/process; providing advice and assistance to scientists in developing scientific and technical policies; reviewing research protocols to evaluate medical device products, scientific projects, or research assignments; and recommending solutions to scientific complaints, research discrepancies, and/or product problems.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES ( KSAs ): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Professional knowledge of a broad range of clinical and biomedical engineering theories, concepts, principles, standards, methods, practices, techniques and equipment, as well as a vast knowledge of standard contracting regulations, practices and procedures.
2. Knowledge of the principles of planning and program management; common business and economic principles, theories, concepts, and procedures; and of the DoD planning, programming, and budgeting system.
3. Knowledge of safety, health, environmental and security regulations, practices and procedures. Ability to analyze, plan and adjust work operations of one or more organizational segments to meet program requirements and objectives within available resources.
4. Skill in evaluating state-of-the-art medical equipment technologies and incorporating into the planning programming, acquisition, installation and life cycle management of complex medical equipment projects.
5. Ability to coordinate, monitor and oversee multiple equipment projects. Knowledge of basic principles required and the ability to communicate effectively with other professional disciplines (clinicians, facilities, information technology) to ensure project success.
6. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Total salary varies depending on location of position
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- A security clearance may be required
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Per National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of fiscal year (FY) 2017. Section 1111 modifies 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) 3326; Veterans who are retiring within 180 days of appointment effective date may require a 180 day waiver package
- This position is subject to provisions of the DOD Priority Placement Program
- Position may be subject to a probationary period
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
For EHA Positions:
These positions are being filled under Expedited Hiring Authority (EHA) for Defense Acquisition Workforce Positions and Health Care Occupations. The Secretary of the Air Force has delegated authority by the Office Of the Secretary of Defense to directly appoint individuals to select defense acquisition workforce positions, or 'EHA Acquisition,' pursuant to the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) and certain health care occupations, or 'EHA Medical.' Positions are located Air Force-Wide. Positions may be filled as permanent or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location.
Duties and responsibilities vary and may increase according to grade level.
This public notice may be used to fill target grades (e.g. GS-13 Target GS 15).
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP ): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the Highly Qualified or Best Qualified Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants ( Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition. Additionally, if you are serving on a term appointment in the competitive service, you may be converted to a career or career-conditional appointment without further competition. NOTE: Current federal civilian employees may apply for this position and if selected, a break in service of at least 3 days may be required prior to appointment to this position.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here .
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here .
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for substantially all of the increased tax liability resulting from the 2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of not qualified or insufficient information and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act Chapter 21 of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 2108a, requires Federal agencies treat active duty service member as veterans, disabled veterans, and preference eligible, when they submit, at the time they apply for a Federal job, a certification of active service in lieu of a DD-214, assuming the service member is otherwise eligible. A certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. The service member's military service dates are necessary in order to determine whether he or she meets the definition of veteran under 5 U.S.C. 2108(1). The certification must reflect the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date of submission . The certification must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin (if applicable), your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Further, under paragraph (h) of the rule, agencies are required to verify a qualifying separation from military service prior to appointment, through the DD-214 or other appropriate documentation. Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Active duty members that fail to provide a valid certification of service with their initial application will be found not eligible. Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts - if you are basing your qualifications on education or if the position requires education, you must submit copies of your transcripts
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.