The creative and content designer is responsible for planning and design of effective content for the Center for Clinical Investigation’s community health programs and its audiences. The designer will optimize the information communicated including effective messaging and modalities working with text, images, and/or video, via the web, in print, and/or on digital services and other applications. The designer will make it simple for respective audiences to access content and manage content to keep it useful and up to date by employing a consistent focus on how best to get a new piece of content across to the programs’ audiences. The designer will identify and target users by discovering where they are, what channels they employ, what language they use, and what they deem important. Using evidence, data and research, the designer is responsible for creating, updating and reviewing content around the end-to-end user journey. From crafting test scripts/documents to writing briefs, the designer is a critical asset, working alongside project teams, partners, and researchers. Participate in planning and research sessions, listen to stakeholders and users, and note the language they use, the designer helps with crafting appropriate and effective content for the programs’ audiences and stakeholders.
- Develop and execute a content and creative design annual plan and timeline for the Center for Clinical Investigation’s Community Health Programs. Oversee daily operations, design, development and execution of all creative and content for community health programs, work with the center leadership team and other cross-functional teams and members to translate key objectives and strategies into innovative content and products that deliver compelling messaging to targeted audiences, internal and external. Lead select teams in strategic brainstorming sessions, user-centered content and creative development, and art direction of traditional and digital modalities and operations to ensure concepts integrate and translate within appropriate modalities. Stay on top of all creative and digital trends and innovations. Serve as lead designer and manages selection and rendering direction for digital and traditional design products that are generated. Review all final center content and creative products and ensure accuracy and timeliness of all files released. Work closely with program’s lead team, co-create wireframes with the community health programs’ user interface designer, and thinks about the interaction the programs’ brand will have with the user (and the most logical order to make the conversation flow naturally). Coupling this with interaction design—how the user interface feels—create a journey that feels human. Along with the user interface designer, ensure that the wireframe can be iterated and improved by both as they progress. (43%)
- Oversee creative execution of all community health programs’ content and creative assets from inception to finished products partnering with lead and project teams and managers and internal and external partners to optimize quality outputs and meet deadlines. Oversee design and development of approved creative concepts, inclusive of conceptual and content design, copy and editing, typography, layout, and color selection that meet established standards and budget requirements. Support usage, update and maintain established guidelines relative to content and creative design efforts and deliverables. Key deliverables include online (high tech) and offline/traditional (low tech, high touch) modalities including creative center for the center’s web presence, email, augmented reality, apps, social and all other digital modalities, and traditional applications. The designer will lead and manage programmatic content and design processes and will develop content and creative assets that are consistently articulated in creative executions throughout all programs’ channels. The designer is responsible for ensuring that creative is reflective of the center’s brand position and campaign specific strategy and that it upholds all associated standards. The designer will set a strong and clear direction for all content and creative products that bring fresh and elevated thinking with knowledge and consideration of the latest relevant technologies. (30%)
- Assist, select, and/or manage teams, vendors, freelancers, and/or agencies to ensure quality and to achieve business objectives as needed. Manage and coordinate with internal teams and external resources to ensure that all quality control for links are functioning and deploy accurately. Partner with the workflow team, content and planning, and other center teams to maintain superior communications regarding project management, efficient workflow, and meeting deadlines. Ensure relevant team members are assigned projects and roles, informed of project status and proactively communicating any challenge that puts a project at risk. Prioritize and select appropriate resources for all creative assignments. Assist with recruiting, training, developing, retaining, and managing project team members to ensure effective and efficient content and creative operation of materials, development, and implementation. Design, oversee, and maintain a workflow system that increases work volume and production speed without compromising quality or innovation. (25%)
Perform other duties as assigned. (2%)
Department: Daily contact with the center’s leadership team to maintain workflow
University: Regular contact with medical school members including the clinical and translational science cooperative to maintain workflow.
External: Regular contact with peers at affiliate hospitals including, but not limited to the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, community organizers and leaders, members of the biotech business community, and other external partners and audiences as appropriate.
Students: Minimal contact
Experience: 4 to 6 years of experience in journalism, communications, digital design or related field, preferably in higher education. Prefer experience to include leading a team to developing, communicating and implementing workflows and quality control, content and creative design experience with both online and offline content; and prior managerial/ supervisory experience.
Education/Licensing: Bachelor's degree required; prefer concentration in journalism, public relations or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Superior writing and editing skills with an excellent eye for detail and layout.
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, budgeting, project management (from conception to completion), and planning skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with peers and colleagues across the organization, as well as, internal and external clients.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment, handling multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills. Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator, Sketch, InDesign, and other graphic design software.
- High degree of proficiency MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications.
- Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography, print, and the web.
- Compelling portfolio of creative and content design work over a wide range of projects.
- Ability to work well autonomously and within a team in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with and influence peers and senior management.
- Self-motivated with critical attention deadlines and reporting.
- Work independently as well as collectively.
- Problem-solver with mature outlook.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
Typical office environment. Occasional nights and weekends may be required.