POSITION TITLE: Creative Marketing Specialist and Graphic Designer
CREATED: November 2019
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing & Program Development
Pike Place Market Background:
The Pike Place Market Preservation and Development Authority (PDA) is a non-profit public corporation chartered by the City of Seattle in 1973 to develop, own and operate most of the properties in the nine-acre Pike Place Market Historical District. The PDA is landlord to 170 craftspeople, 120 farmers, 275 residential tenants, and approximately 225 year-round commercial businesses in 12 buildings. The Marketing Department is responsible for PDA Marketing, digital content, website management, internal and external communications, and Market programs.
This position will be responsible for multiple duties within the Marketing department. Duties will include content development for our website, graphic design, social media channels, support for advertising and communications campaigns and coordination of programmed events.
- Produce print and digital graphics including interactive projects
- Produce effective graphics for daily use within the established style guidelines on multiple platforms and determine the message the design should portray
- Emphasize appropriateness of style, execution, clarity of visual storytelling, impact, concept, accuracy and a commitment to proofreading and editing all design work
- Take a multi-platform approach to design and storytelling and participate in the associated prototyping, storyboarding and planning endeavors
- Partner closely with the Digital Content Specialist to build content that aligns with website and social media platforms
- Create materials to support digital marketing campaigns, including paid, email, and social media
- Attend and actively participate in marketing team meetings to determine strategic and creative objectives of each project
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator)
- High level of comfort accepting and integrating feedback into design projects
- Strong grasp of design principles, including typography, color, imagery, and composition
- Deep understanding of social platforms and digital storytelling
- Photography experience is a plus
- Manage fast-paced work environment and masterfully juggle demands
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with attention to detail and a minimum of direction
- Curiosity with a desire to stay informed of industry trends and learn new skills
- Self-motivated, works well independently, and enjoys collaborative team process. Strong organizational, time management, and prioritization skills and Strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to make independent decisions and work autonomously
- 2+ years of experience in a similar graphic design role
- Assist with program planning including work some weekends throughout the year.
- Coordinates execution of both internal and agency-led marketing efforts. Makes recommendations for future campaigns based on an analysis of results.
- Help develop and implement special Pike Place Market promotions that highlight Market merchants, products, or services. Promote the Market throughout Downtown Seattle and in other Seattle neighborhoods by representing the Market at community events, industry associations or similar gatherings;
- Make sure that all PDA staff and merchants are informed and aware of all Market events, and assist the Marketing and Programs Department with producing and distributing newsletters, collateral material, press releases, and other communications;
- Other duties as assigned by department Director.
- Most importantly we are looking for somebody that is excited about their craft, energetic, and positive with an appetite to grow and learn.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or Marketing is preferred. High level knowledge and experience with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube is essential. Knowledge of a variety of software programs such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint and Adobe Creative Cloud is required Candidate must possess excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills, the ability to deal effectively with diverse groups of people, and exercise good judgment and diplomacy.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is performed in a busy office setting that is non-smoking and subject to temperature variances due to western exposure. Requires a valid WA State Driver’s License. Must be ambulatory, walk long distances, operate a phone, keyboard and computer, and operate light audio/visual equipment. Immediate work area is shared with other personnel and the room itself has other department offices in close proximity separated by partitions. Work environment is fast-paced and requires the ability to work under pressure.
Submit Resume and Cover Letter in one of the following manners: Indeed, Mail 85 Pike Street , Room 500, Seattle, WA 98101 Attn: human resources department, or apply in person. This position is opened until filled. Salary DOE.
The Pike Place Market PDA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Relocation assistance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture