Responsible for product development, cost reduction, competitive defense, and state-of-the-art improvements to the product line required for future growth in the industry. Supervises the Engineering Department, which includes supervisors as well as engineers in the following disciplines: electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, thermodynamics, hydraulics, and pneumatics. The role requires an mix of in-depth engineering reviews and managerial work. This role requires a high degree of collaboration across TLD including Sales, Marketing, Finance, and Operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Conceptualize, conceive, plan, schedule, and direct the design of assigned products. Perform other product development activities required to continuously innovate and update products while maintaining customer-centric, sustainable and profitable growth
- Set expectations for the engineering team, overseeing the quotation, initiation, scheduling and coordination of developmental activities for engineering projects from concept evaluation through product launch using benchmarks and goals to monitor progress and understand financial implications of changes or delays
- Use a plan, do, check, act mentality to hold engineering team accountable to goals, willing to pitch in to bring projects back on track, able to reward successes and use challenges and problems as team learning opportunities
- Able to present and defend design decisions to senior leadership
- Work closely with Sales, Marketing and Operations to ensure new products are launched on-time and on-budget
- Assure continuing conformance of products to requirements, including but not limited to codes and standards, customer requirements, test requirements and profitability requirements
- Work closely with the Chief Engineer to absorb tribal knowledge and leverage their unique talents to enhance the development of the engineering team
- Manage engineers and technicians to provide support across TLD from sales to customers to ensure problems in the field are appropriately addressed and reported internally with an eye towards continuous improvement
- Research and identify the application, performance and functional requirements for products to assure appropriateness for the intended function in customer acceptable terms
- Write and direct the writing of reports associated with product performance, application, quality, and other key aspects of product performance to monitor trends
- Oversee the configuration management of product documentation
- Ensure the development of skills for the members of his/her department by serving as a coach and mentor, always seeking to build engineering bench strength and enhance the team’s capabilities
- Work closely with the COO, and participate in special projects to support global company goals
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- CIT: Support and promote continuous improvement within the company.
- Establish standards, procedures and other documents in accordance with ISO.
- Maintain the currency with respect to technical and supervisory skills by attending training classes, special technical and administration courses; seminars, exhibits and trade shows are needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be a hands on engineer with strong expertise in engineering design, materials and manufacturing systems
- Previous team leadership experience preferred, though strong project leadership experience and leadership skills will be considered
- Must have strong decision making and problem solving skills, and the ability to coach and manage staff
- Must have good financial acumen, able to understand the cost implication of changes and able to coach team members to work within budget
- Exposure to Lean or other continuous improvement methodologies preferred, with a willingness to apply those tools where possible
- Must be a team player with a strong work ethic, who is honest and truly cares about their team and can push them while being firm but fair
- Strong written, verbal, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Computer skills: MRP system experience, knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- 10+ years of engineering experience
TLD provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Further, TLD takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. All recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and other employment related programs are provided fairly to all persons on an equal opportunity basis without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Employment decisions are based on the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.
TLD is committed to ensuring that its online application process provides an equal employment opportunity to all candidates, including individuals with disabilities. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only messages sent for this purpose will be reviewed.