The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) is one of four campuses in the University of Colorado system and is home to over 12,400 undergraduate and 1,800 graduate students. UCCS is among the fastest growing universities in the state and is consistently ranked as one of the top Western regional universities by U.S. News & World Report. Colorado Springs, (pop. 400K+) is situated at the base of Pikes Peak, offers many recreational and cultural activities and was recently ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top Best Places to Live in the U.S.
The Graphic Design Specialist works with the University Marketing and Communications team on print and digital design support - providing creative solutions that meet university strategic communication goals, promoting a positive image of the university with potential students, constituents, alumni and donors by researching, designing, and producing high-quality printed and electronic communications and multimedia critical to the mission of the university and aligned with the UCCS brand and visual design.
Examples of Work Performed
- Design and production of on-brand digital and print collateral pieces such as flyers, ads, invitations, annual reports, event programs and other materials as needed.
Attend client meetings when necessary to determine the overall needs of communication piece: research, develop and present designs.
Handle production and preflight of final print-ready artwork by using InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and be familiar with sizing imagery, etc.
Works with brand manager to ensure proper implementation of brand standards and visual design, including receiving final approval from the Marketing and Communications team on highly visible campaigns/design concepts.
Design and produce final artwork for print and digital paid media campaigns.
Provide desktop publishing support for staff.
Assist in the development and production of templates and digital assets.
- Collaborate with cross-discipline teams and individual workloads while exhibiting objectivity and openness to others' views; give and welcome feedback; and contribute to building a positive team spirit.
Responsive Design across multiple platforms:
- Have a thorough understanding of design elements and principles; understanding of how to translate elements between digital and print media using the Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and other graphic design/interactive software, as appropriate.
Oversee quality of work:
- Exercise quality control over projects by reviewing printer proofs.
Preflight files to make sure all electronic files are correct and included for the printer.
Make mock-ups for printer. Negotiate client changes, cost and deadline adjustments as needed.
Photo/Multimedia/Digital Asset Management:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Assist with digital file and metadata preparation for the digital asset management system.
Assist with multimedia and photography production when appropriate.
Assist in selecting and collecting images, photos and digital assets for design projects.
- Experience with creative concept development, design planning, art/photo direction, print and multimedia design.
Design experience across multiple platforms, expertise in using a broad range of design programs and platforms (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Canva, etc.) for creation of design work.
Working knowledge of how to translate elements between digital and print media using the Adobe Creative Suite and other graphic design/interactive software, as appropriate.
Demonstrated success in the design and execution of integrated multimedia projects in a professional environment.
Ability to iterate on design work within brand standards, give and receive direction, feedback and constructive criticism.
Ability to adapt to changing priorities, deadlines, and client needs.
Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Strong organizational and communication (both written and verbal) skills.
Ability to perform detailed work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
Strong knowledge in industry standards, trends, and technical knowledge.
- Experience with metadata or digital asset management a plus.
Experience with photography a plus.
This position has been determined to be exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- At least two years professional work experience as a designer, multimedia designer.
At least one-year experience with Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign.
One-year experience working with clients
Portfolios will be required upon telephone interview
On Campus interviews will include meeting with the hiring authority and an hour of actual design work
Special Instructions to Applicants:
* Travel for in-person interviews will be reimbursed. If you are offered the job and do not accept, no reimbursement will be allowed. • The successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States upon hire. • The University of Colorado Colorado Springs will not sponsor work visas or permanent resident applications for this position. * Potential telephone interviews 24-25 October, on campus interviews 7-8 November, with a potential employee start date of 1 December 2019.
If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.
Application Materials Required:
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:
• Applications submitted by October 14th, 2019 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.