The Instructor in the Recreation Department for The City of Frederick is responsible for providing safe, effective, motivating group classes for participants of all levels. The Instructor provides leadership while monitoring and encouraging class participation. The Instructor is responsible for staying abreast of current and evolving trends within their area of expertise. They are responsible for presenting a positive, professional and competent image of The City of Frederick through quality programs designed to meet the diverse needs of the community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Take attendance at each class and ensure that program waivers are completed by all participants.
- When applicable, develop program content to include scheduling, as well as supplies needed for program.
- Report directly to immediate supervisor, the Recreation Supervisor.
- Work all assigned hours as designated by program schedule and supervisor.
- Remain understanding, compassionate and courteous to all program participants.
- Be prepared and capable to instruct all aspects of given program.
- Provide instruction to program participants to the best of your ability, enduring equal instruction and opportunity to succeed is extended to everyone.
- Maintain all program supplies, including set-up and storage. Notify supervisor should any shortages and/or damages occur with said supplies.
- Maintain open communications with all staff, program participants, parents and Recreation Supervisor.
- When applicable, distribute all appropriate program t-shirts, certificates, supplies, awards, etc. to participants at designated times.
- Complete all necessary accident forms and report to supervisor.
- Maintain for the safety of all program participants.
- Perform any other job duties as directed by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES AND/OR LICENSES:
SKILLS (Communication/Language; Mathematical; Computer; etc.)
- 18 years of age or older
- Prior teaching experience preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to exercise patience and good verbal communication to effectively convey ideas and information.
- Bilingual desirable, not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The incumbent in this position must provide a safe and enjoyable environment for all participants during programs. While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is frequently required to walk, talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Physical demands are varying depending upon program being offered. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Programs may occur indoors in a controlled setting or outdoors under varying weather conditions depending on program
The City of Frederick Government does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other legally protected group in employment or in the provisions of services. Reasonable accommodation provided upon request. All applicants tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to any required tests to screen for illegal drug and alcohol use prior to appointment. Application evaluation will involve interviews, written tests and/or other appropriate screening tools.