How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The College of Engineering Home for Online and Professional Education is seeking a talented and energetic Marketing Communications Specialist to support its marketing and outreach team, especially the Business Development and Marketing Manager, in planning and executing various communications campaigns through multiple channels to keep the public, the academic/university community, faculty, industry contacts and other stakeholders informed. This position is responsible for and participates in a wide range of activities. We are looking for an individual who can demonstrate excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, attention to detail and a dedication to quality and customer service. The position reports to the Business Development and Marketing Manager.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.
Marketing Team Coordination (35%)
Client Relations & Lead Generation (35%)
- Lead marketing team activities in close cooperation with Business Development and Marketing Manager, daily management of marketing projects and plan/calendar
- Keep Business Development and Marketing Manager informed about marketing plans/activities and enrollment statuses
- Collaborate with Business Development and Marketing Manager on the planning and implementation of marketing/sales activities to promote the professional and online programs, develop new markets, and increase enrollments
- In collaboration with the marketing team, develop annual campaign planning, including messaging and channel strategy for programs and program portfolios
- Create messaging, marketing campaigns, and web content for new programs
- Update and organize databases for marketing campaigns
- Track data and analyze the return of various marketing activities to evaluate their effectiveness and provide recommendations for new approaches
- Analyze the market and make recommendations for updates or additions to program portfolio
- Other special projects as assigned
Digital Marketing & Content Creation (30%)
- Generate leads and nurture relationships to increase and diversify participation in programs
- Prepare marketing materials and presentations for marketing meetings, events, and promotional activities
- Oversee planning, organization, and coordination of participation in conferences, trade shows, educational fairs, and other events to raise awareness of programs, build relationships, and identify prospective students/clients
- Attend campus-wide and off-campus events (e.g. conferences, corporate education information sessions, etc.) to promote programs
- Develop strategic messaging for marketing events
- Generate custom program leads through professional programs, career fairs, receptions, and networking events
- Coordinate with faculty and company contacts to develop and win custom program proposals
- Conduct market analysis, create reports, and make recommendations on potential markets, clients, and programs
- Collaborate with Business Development and Marketing Manager to write marketing proposals for professional development programs
- Collaborate with instructors and industry partners to create shareable value-added content to drive leads, subscribers, and awareness
- Create and manage digital editorial calendars, including web, social, and email marketing publishing schedules
- In accordance with the editorial calendar, create and edit news stories and digital content for website, social media, email marketing, blog posts, digital newsletter, etc.
- In collaboration with Business Development and Marketing Manager, manage AdWords campaigns and oversee budget to increase effectiveness and optimize performance
- Create and implement social media campaigns aimed at increasing awareness, connecting with past and future learners, and improving communications with target audiences
- Bachelor’s degree in communication/marketing-related field, liberal arts, or business or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum two years communication/marketing experience including creating and executing marketing plans targeted for internal and external audiences with multi-media channels and a focus on digital channels
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills; demonstrated the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Creative thinker with an analytical ability to use data to inform decisions
- Excellent project management and time management skills with the ability to follow through on multiple commitments and inspire others to do so
- Experience developing, writing, and editing original work for a variety of channels (targeted email, websites, social media, presentations, feature articles) as well as reviewing the communication work of others
- Demonstrated experience in digital content creation, management, and strategy; including inbound/content marketing
- In-depth knowledge of various paid marketing channels and technologies, including paid search (Google AdWords) and social network advertising
- Experience with PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs and media analytics tools
- Desire and ability to learn new things, creatively problem solve, and be agile and flexible with change
- Be technologically savvy, especially related to websites and social media
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a dynamic team
- Willing to travel and attend evening events on a regular basis
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.