Patient Placement Coordinator (Administrative Coordinator)
HC. Administrator on Duty
Work Unit Description
Work Schedule, Hours, FTE, Salary Range
- FTE: 0.6, Part Time
- Schedule:Variable shifts and hours. Saturday & Sunday, 0700 - 1900
- Salary Range: $21.84 - $29.54 per hour
- Location: Portland, OR (Marquam Hill)
- Job Type: Union Represented (AFSCME)
Functions/Duties of Position
Variable shifts and hours. The patient Placement Coordinator utilizes his/her knowledge and expertise to facilitate patient throughput. This dynamic office manages multiple phone lines while assigning patients accurately and timely, minimizing patient delays. The Patient Placement Coordinator works with highly sensitive and confidential patient information while performing bed control activities as well as reconciling the OR daily schedule. Flexibility is required of the Patient Placement Coordinator as to cover all shifts including vacations, sick calls, and holiday coverage.
1. Coordinate and strategize the complex placement of incoming clinic admissions, inter-hospital transfers, and post-operative patients in accordance with hospital policies, using EPIC Bed Planning software.
2. Communicate ongoing changes and challenges to the Bed Flow Manager (BFM) and/or Administrator on Duty (AOD), and escalate concerns to the Physician on Duty as needed.
3. Communicate with charge nurses, clinic staff, and physician teams re: patient bed assignments for both scheduled and unscheduled admits.
4. Accurately relay information regarding diagnosis and special needs.
5. Engage in continual problem solving to maintain positive patient flow under tight time frames and limited bed resources; multitask according to changing priorities.
6. Collaborate with the OHSU Transfer Center to ensure timely bed assignments, particularly for emergent transfers.
7. Collaborate with BFM and AOD to manage ICU patient flow.
8. Collaborate with housekeeping to manage and prioritize patient room cleaning.
9. Manage patient assignments for the internal medicine teams.
10. Prepare for daily bed meeting and assess for admission capacity by communicating with relevant charge nurses in a timely manner; assess need for overflow plan.
11. Reconcile Operating Room schedule for next OR day. This includes:
- Comparing OR schedule and reservation list.
- Contacting schedulers for error reconciliation
- Correcting errors in EPIC
- Identify potential problems and involve the Bed Flow Manager
12. Prepare end of shift report for manager including census justification
- Four years of general office or secretarial experience; OR
- An Associates degree or certificate in office occupations or office technology and two years of general office or secretarial experience; OR
- A Bachelors degree and two years of general office or secretarial experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Note: Successful completion of a formal OHSU Administrative Internship Program will substitute for one year of experience. Contact Compensation for confirmation of eligibility.
- 2 years experience in related healthcare environment that involves multi-tasking and using critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple phone lines under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in medical terminology.
- Must be flexible, self-motivated, accustomed to frequent interruptions, comfortable with change.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams.
- Organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy, and ability to provide diligent follow through.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with particular emphasis on phone etiquette.
- Frequent need to complete activities with tight time frames and quick turn-around. Occasional exposure to upset individuals. Frequent exposure to workplace noise and stressors.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation.
- Two year Associates Degree in hospital related field.
- Experience with EPIC Bed Planning software.
- Two years experience as a CNA, HUC,or patient placement specialist in an inpatient hospital setting.
- HUC or CNA II Certification.
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting to Work:
Commuting to OHSU is a unique experience and planning ahead for your first visit is highly recommended. Parking at OHSU is limited and employees are required to purchase a permit to access parking. OHSU is committed to reducing traffic congestion and rewards commuters for a variety of options. Learn about cash incentives, free shuttles, transit discounts, the aerial tram, dynamic carpooling, free ride share for early and late commuting, and request a custom trip plan at www.ohsu.edu/commute.
How To Apply
Referral Bonus Eligible
Referral Bonus Amount