Job Location :
Los Angeles,CA, USA
Employment Type : Full-Time
Posted on : 2019-03-19T04:28:04Z
Job Description :
This position is in support of the United States Attorney's Office in Los Angeles, CA, at 312 North Spring Street, Criminal Division (Major Frauds) or Litigation Support Electronic Discovery Center. However, one may be placed to support divisions/sections where needed depending upon the needs of the office upon time of hire.
The estimated length of this assignment is expected to be through November 30, 2019 with the potential for SIX (6) one year extension(s).
With proper approvals, works overtime depending on work and caseload.
The Employee will typically perform the following tasks, but not limited to:
- All of the duties performed by a Senior Paralegal Specialist.
- Examines and evaluates information in case files based on the department's standards for case litigation worthiness and appropriate titles of law.
- Conducts research into case law and statutes. Analy1zes legal decisions, opinions, rulings, memorandum, and other legal material relating to relevant points of law as dictated by the nature of the case assignment. Performs research/analysis in a wide range of cases using the aid of sensitive databases such as Lexis/Nexis, Westlaw, Law Enforcement Online (LEO), National Crime Information Center (NCIC), Justice Telecommunications System (JUST) and National Law Enforcement Communication (NLETS).
- Drafts pleadings and motions for presentation in court. Assists in drafting indictments for presentation to a grand jury. Drafts legal memoranda reflecting facts, sources and citations. Prepares factual material such as summarization of financial and other documentary data for evidentiary purposes.
- Summarizes deposition testimony.
- Organizes exhibits, subpoenas, evidence and visual aids for use in grand jury or trial. Prepares trial notebooks for use during courtroom appearances.
- Assists in witness interviews and preparation.
- Processes, tags, jndexes, and organizes voluminous discovery, including documents, electronic communications, and audio and video recordings, in multi defendant cases.
- Produces high quality work using IPRO Eclipse, Relativity, Excel, using IPRO Viewer, eScan-IT, and Eclipse.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The above mentioned tasks can be performed as single tasks or in conjunction with one another.
- Proven excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Requires paralegal certificate.
- At least three years of litigation paralegal experience, including trial experience.
- At least one year of experience in automated litigation support.
- Must have supervisory experience, including proven capabilities and communication skills to successfully interact with clients and attorneys.
- Requires sound working knowledge of federal and state court system, legal research procedures, and legal research resources.
- Thorough knowledge of legal research tools such as LEXIS and Westlaw.
- Must have hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, databases (such as document review and file management systems), spreadsheets, and imaging.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software programs (i. e., Word, Excel, Outlook, MS Access or other data bases), Word Perfect and Adobe Acrobat Professional or similar applications.
- Experience with Relativity or similar databases.
- Ability to meet established deadlines and work as a team player in a professional office.
- Ability to meet and deal with people in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Ability to consistently deliver highest quality work under extreme pressure will be very important.
- Some walking, standing, bending and carrying of small office items is required.
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Must be a U. S. Citizen.
- Experience working in a Government and/or Litigation Support environment in conjunction with basic qualifications and/or equivalent level of training.
- Experience in Criminal cases/Major Frauds, preferred.
- Familiarity with ESI tools and knowledge of e-discovery procedures and resources, preferred
- Current or active clearance.