Faber Daeufer & Itrato PC
is a dynamic, fast-growing law firm that provides corporate and transactional counsel to clients in the drug and life sciences industries, and in other emerging technology sectors including cleantech and cloud computing. The firm started in 2003, has worked with over 1,000 companies, research institutions and investors in these technology sectors, and has grown to about 40 employees located in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, California, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland. See www.faberlawgroup.com
The Firm’s Needs
We are seeking a thoughtful and conscientious individual to join our team as a Technology Specialist. (The title may be different, depending upon the skills and experience of the candidate hired.) This is a newly-created full-time position, reporting to the firm’s Senior Director of Information Technology. The individual will work in our office at 890 Winter Street in Waltham, but with periodic in-person visits to firm’s satellite sites (including 2-4 trips annually to the New York office and possible visits to the Pennsylvania and California offices as well as homes of firm employees).
The individual must be focused on helping our lawyers, contracts specialists, paralegals, administrative assistants and finance professionals provide excellent service to our clients – this includes generating high-quality work product, communicating effectively with colleagues and clients, adhering to deadlines, and working collaboratively with the firm’s other internal and external resources to work efficiently and prioritize effectively.
To succeed in this position, the individual must be able to: solve unfamiliar technical problems through self-directed on-line research and through trial-and-error; document their work in a way that others can understand; and have a passion for helping others and for constant improvement.
(NOTE: The employee is not expected to perform all the job responsibilities below independently upon hire. Duties will be added gradually, and greater independence will be expected, as the employee gains skills and experience.)
Provide training and help-desk assistance to firm employees to ensure optimal use of the firm’s technology assets.
• Provide technical assistance by e-mail, phone, remote control, and in-person. Assistance will include both break-fix and how-to scenarios.
• Provide on-boarding technology training for new hires.
• Create and maintain user-facing and administrator-facing technical documentation on the firm’s intranet.
• Provide end-user group training sessions as needed to introduce new software features or procedures.
• Provide recommendations for system upgrades or reconfigurations based on support request trends and user feedback.
Maintain and improve the performance of the firm’s technology assets.
• Administer a collection of virtual servers, including Active Directory domain controllers, Remote Desktop servers, file servers, and application servers. Ensure all servers are properly patched, backed up, and performing all required functions.
• Manage the firm’s cloud services, including Office 365, iManage, and others. Ensure that user accounts are properly provisioned and deprovisioned and that security permissions are properly assigned and maintained. Oversee backup and restore procedures for all data in the cloud.
• Deploy software applications and updates to the firm’s servers and fleet of laptop computers, including operating systems, applications, endpoint security, and utility software.
• Provision new computer hardware for new employees and in accordance with the firm’s hardware refresh policies.
• Manage the Waltham office’s network infrastructure, including routers, switches, wireless network, and conference room audio-visual equipment.
• Manage the firm’s telephone and other telecommunication systems.
• Manage the deployment of firm information assets to employee-owned mobile devices.
• Assist in the development and maintenance of the firm’s information security management system. Ensure that all system documentation is current and complete.
Serve as primary liaison to the firm’s numerous technology vendors.
• Report and follow up on product defects or advanced usage questions.
• Track all hardware, software, and service contracts. Ensure that all ongoing contracts are renewed or canceled as desired. Assist with the budgeting process by providing current and forecasted demands.
• Stay current with legal technology literature.
• Participate in on-line legal technology forums/discussions.
• Attend legal technology conferences and seminars (on-line and in person).
• Research and evaluate emerging technologies.
Requirements for Education/Experience/Skills
• College degree
• 1+ years’ experience in a technology role at a law firm or other professional services firm (accounting, financial services, management consulting, etc.).
• Ability to communicate clearly in English, including written and verbal communication
• Familiarity with:
◦ All Microsoft Office applications
◦ PDF software (Acrobat, Power PDF, or equivalent)
◦ iOS and/or Android devices
◦ Principles of cybersecurity
Preferences for Additional Skills
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word (functions on Design, Review, and References tabs)
• Experience with Office 365 administration
• Experience with document management systems (the firm uses iManage)
• Experience with legal document comparison software (the firm uses Change-Pro)
• Proficiency in Skype for Business, GoToMeeting or other teleconference software
We provide our employees with a competitive salary and bonus compensation and a strong package of benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any candidate or employee on the basis of race, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion or veteran status. The firm is committed to increasing participation by minorities and women in the legal profession and expanding the opportunities for minorities and women within the profession. The firm is proactive in recruiting minority and women lawyers, contracts specialists, paralegals, and staff and strongly encourages the interest of these candidates in the firm.