Your new roleCommercial Operations - Quantity Surveyor
To provide expert commercial and contract management services to all Operations contracts throughout the life cycle of a project. Provide commercial advice and support to Operations and manage own portfolio of work in the value of £10-20M per year.
What you’ll be doing
- Provide contractual advice to the business and the project team, inform appropriate management of project contractual issues and ensure project team understand the contractual conditions
- Day to day contract and commercial management including managing communication and notifications to timescales, payment assessment, managing and valuing change and early warnings and review and agree final account
- Cost planning and budget estimating and review and challenge contractor estimates and feed back into benchmarking and lessons learnt
- Monitor actual costs against budget and prepare contract forecasts, identification of risks and opportunities to project spend/ budgets
- Lead on regular cost and contract audits to ensure contractor compliance with contract conditions
- Act as a line manager and mentor to Assistant Quantity Surveyors, Graduates and Apprentices and provide on-going support in their professional development
- Review and respond to scheme contractual matters
- Manage own portfolio of works
- Supervise work of Assistant Quantity Surveyors/Trainee Quantity Surveyors and provide support in their development
- Lead on all commercial matters in scheme buildability meetings and scheme collaborative planning sessions
- Ensure all commercial and contractual issues are resolved for their schemes and dealt with in a timely manner
- Manage relationship with the supply chain
- Review completed designs for Commercial and Contractual compliance
- Provide assistance to other departments as and when required
- Deputise for Senior Quantity Surveyors as and when required
To be successful
- B.Sc(Hons) in Commercial Management or Quantity Surveying
- Member of a relevant professional body or must demonstrate relevant breadth and depth of experience working as a QS within a relevant industry
- Experience with successfully delivering a variety of projects using different forms of contract (NEC preferable)
- Provide mentoring and training to the commercial teams and support their professional development
A bit about usThere’s never been a better time to join our Commercial and Procurement team. We’re a growing, vibrant team helping to drive the most ambitious roads investment programme our country has ever seen. You’ll be involved in ensuring that our customers and road workers get home safe and well every day while travelling or working on our road network.
Why you should join usAn informal blended working approach has been adopted for many of our roles across National Highways. We offer many different ways to work flexibly and we’re open to discuss part-time working, job shares, and flexible start and finish times.
Please wait until the interview stage before asking us about flexibility, and we will explore what is possible.
Our benefits package
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus, and employer pension contributions of up to 10%.
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are:
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly - offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
And finallyAnd finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.